Via Dante is the straight street aligned with the exit of the Castello Sforzesco and it was planned, together with piazza Cordusio and Foro Bonaparte, during the Napoleonic era. At early 19th century a street connecting the castle to Piazza Duomo was planned but the works only started in 1884, when the piano Beruto was approved. The municipal administration planned the layout and its characteristics (the width was reduced from thirty to twenty metres) and proclaimed a contest for the construction of the buildings overlooking Via Dante that were all finished within 1891.
This involved the demolition of a historic neighbourhood and the construction of two rows of buildings. The only edifice that wasn’t demolished is Palazzo Carmagnola that is situated at the intersection with via Rovello. The structure of the buildings is unusual: they all house shops and cafés on the ground floor and flats or offices on the upper floors. The most important buildings are Casa Broggi, situated at the intersection with Via Meravigli, Casa Savoncelli, located at the intersection with via San Prospero, Casa Castini in via Dante n°4, the Case Celesia in via Dante n°7 and Casa Cavalli, located at the intersection with Via Rovello.