The Natural History Museum is the oldest civic museum in Milan and it’s located in the Indro Montanelli Garden near Porta Venezia. It’s the heart of the tasks of the Giardino delle Scienze, which includes three avant-garde educational laboratories: the Paleolab for palaeontology and earth science, the Biolab for meteorology, biology and chemistry and the Verdelab for botany.
The museum was opened to the public in 1844, during the 6th convention of Italian scientists, on the site of the old convent of Santa Marta, near via Circo, and since 2010 it has been part of the museum centre that includes also the Aquarium and the Planetarium. It’s made of seven sections involved in scientific researches and in the preservation of natural environment: Botany, Mineralogy, Entomology, Palaeontology, Natural History of Man, Invertebrate Zoology and Vertebrate Zoology.
The cast of the Australopithecus Afarensis skeleton, known as Lucy, is stored in the permanent exhibition about Natural History of Man, dedicated to the birth and the evolution of the species,