Teatro Nazionale is located in Piazza Piemonte and it was founded in the twenties by Mauro Rota, a Milanese cinemas manager. Inaugurated in 1924, renovated in 1979, in 2001 it was named Ventaglio Nazionale and after years of prose works, it started showing musicals. In 2009, a Dutch multinational company, the Stage Entertainment, restored the theatre and in September it was opened again with its original name Teatro Nazionale. Since then, the same musical runs all the season long, according to Broadway model.
The acoustic system was renewed, the stage was broadened in order to put on more complex musicals and its capacity was increased to 1500 seats. The first show was “The Beauty and the Beast” in 2010-2011, then “Mamma Mia”, “Sister Act” and “Saturday night fever”. The renovation of the theatre was part of a plan of urban restoration of Piazza Piemonte, where a green area was created with three sculptures by Aligi Sassu. The area around Teatro Nazionale is full of restaurants, pizzerias and night clubs, situated all along Via Marghera.