Besides the Duomo, another icon Milan is proud of is the Sforzesco Castle, that houses the Trivulziana Library, the Civic Museums and some civic cultural foundations. Situated in Sempione Park, its origins date back to 1368 when Galeazzo Visconti commissioned it but since then it underwent a lot of transformations. The building as we see it now is the result of the rebuilding ordered by the Duke of Milan Francesco Sforza in 1450 and of the restoration made by Luca Beltrami between 1891 and 1905 which provided it a more historical appearance.
The present structure of the castle has a squared plan whose sides are 200m (218yd) long, it is surrounded by a moat and it’s got four corner towers: the two overlooking Piazza Castello are cylindrical, while Torre (tower) Falconiera and Torre del Tesoro, that overlook Sempione Park, are square-shaped. The main entrance to the Castle leads through Torre del Filarete oriented towards the city centre and Piazza Cordusio, decorated with a 1916 bas-relief depicting King Umberto the 1st on his horse and the statue dedicated to Saint Ambrose.
In front of the Sforzesco Castle, on the square that takes its name from the castle, stands out a big circular fountain, well-known for its waterworks that are very suggestive especially nightly or during festivities.