The church of Santa Maria Incoronata is actually made of two churches. The first is the ancient church of Santa Maria di Gargnano while the other one is consecrated to San Nicola di Tolentino. In 1468 the two buildings were joined in order to create a single church with a square-plan and, together with the annexed convent, became the main Augustinian seat of all Lombardia.
The interior of the church of Santa Maria Incoronata is arranged into two naves of the same height divided by pillars. The most interesting part is the Candoglia marble (the same marble the Duomo is covered with) tombstone of Archbishop Gabriele Sforza with his portrait, that is in the second chapel of the right nave, next to the altar. A must see is the fresco by Bergognone in the first chapel of the left nave, depicting Jesus Christ in the mystic winepress. Next to the church there’s a part of the cloister that once belonged to the Augustinian convent.