San Sepolcro

San Sepolcro

The church of San Sepolcro was founded in 1030 by Benedetto Ronzone, likely the Master of the Mint of Milan, who dedicated it to the Holy Trinity. In 1100, while a lot of Milanese led by Bishop Anselmo IV da Bovisio was taking part in the second Crusade, the church was consecrated with its current name. The first significant changes to the ancient building date back to 1578 when Carlo Borromeo entrusted it to the Oblati congregation.

Then in 1605 his cousin Federico had the inside completely modified. The outside appearance also went through significant changes, firstly in 1718 and in 1897 when Gaetano Moretti and Cesare Nava gave it the neo-Romanesque look with its exposed brickwork that still nowadays overlooks piazza San Sepolcro and renovated the two bell towers with the new mullioned window-loggias. The church’s interior dates back to the 14th century.

The atrium, delimited by two chapels and ascribed to Francesco Maria Richini, precedes the main nave with Corinthian columns, which is flanked by aisles overtopped by Matroneums. The most important part of the church of San Sepolcro is the crypt made up by five naves where it is housed a 14th century sarcophagus with the relics brought by the people of Milan that came back defeated from the second Crusade. The urn is said to contain a lock of Maddalena’s hair and a handful of dirt from the Holy Land. Unfortunately it is forbidden to visit the crypt, due to its terrible conditions.

Importanza
Media
Difficoltà
Bassa
Costo
Gratis!
Tempo medio
30 min
Authored by: milanita

San Sepolcro

San Sepolcro

La Chiesa di San Sepolcro fu fondata nel 1030 da Benedetto Ronzone, probabile maestro della Zecca milanese, che la dedicò alla SS. Trinità. Nel 1100, durante la seconda crociata cui parteciparono molti milanesi guidati da Vescovo Anselmo IV da Bovisio, la chiesa venne consacrata con il suo attuale nome. I primi rimaneggiamenti sostanziali all’antico edificio risalgono al 1578 quando Carlo Borromeo l’affidò alla congregazione degli Oblati. Fu poi la volta del cugino Federico che nel 1605 fece modificare completamente l’interno.

Anche l’aspetto esterno subì sostanziali modifiche, una volta nel 1718 e la definitiva nel 1897quando, Gaetano Moretti e Cesare Nava le diedero l’aspetto neoromanico in mattoni a vista, che ancora oggi affaccia su piazza San Sepolcro e, rinnovarono le due torri del campanile con le nuove logge a bifora.
L’interno della chiesa conserva l’aspetto del XXIV secolo. L’ atrio limitato da due cappelle attribuito a Francesco Maria Richini precede la navata principale su colone corinzie, fiancheggiata da navate sovrastate da matronei.

La parte più significativa della Chiesa di San Sepolcro è la cripta formata da cinque navate in cui è conservato un sarcofago trecentesco con le reliquie portate dai milanesi che tornarono sconfitti dalla seconda crociata. Si dice che l’urna contenga una ciocca di capelli della Maddalena e un pugno di terra raccolto in Terra Santa. Purtroppo la cripta, a causa del pessimo stato di conservazione, non è più visitabile.

Importanza
Media
Difficoltà
Bassa
Costo
Gratis!
Tempo medio
30 min
Authored by: milanita