The complex of San Michele ai Nuovi Sepolcri is an ancient structure known as Rotonda della Besana and it’s one of Milan’s most typical buildings of the 18th century. The enclosure that surrounds the church of San Michele was designed by Carlo Francesco Carfagna and was built in 1725. It was first used as the new cemetery of the Ospedale Maggiore, and it was once located on the outskirts of Milan, near the Bastioni.
This structure is made of four porticoed exedras alternating with just as many minor exedras with porches with binate columns. In the middle there’s San Michele church with a Greek-cross plan and a dome hidden by an octagonal lantern, built by Attilio Arrigoni in 1713. Over the years, the Rotonda della Besana complex was used for a lot of different purposes.
Nowadays is a seat for exhibitions and, during the summer, for open-air screenings. On January 24th 2014 it was inaugurated the MUBA, the first museum for children in Milan, a permanent centre of cultural and artistic projects for children, opened to innovation and didactics in order to promote the development of creativity.