Close to Porta Vittoria (once named Porta Tosa), there’s Piazza Cinque Giornate. Its distinctive feature is the monument commemorating the Five Days of Milan, made by Giuseppe Grandi and inaugurated on March 18th 1895. It’s made of a base surrounded by five women symbolizing the Five Days and overtopped by a bronze obelisk.
The Five Days (March 18th-March 22nd 1848) were fundamental for the Italian Risorgimento. Instead of Piazza Cinque Giornate there was Porta Tosa, which at the time became more important than Porta Venezia. After the Five Days in 1848 and the Italian unification, the gate’s name was turned into Vittoria (victory), in honour of the Italian victory over Austria, led by General Radetzky.
In 1881 Giuseppe Grandi won the contest for the monument that was finished by December 1894, but unfortunately he died before the official inauguration on March 18th 1895. In order to spotlight the monument the Porta Tosa was demolished and nowadays only two tollhouses are left. In Piazza Cinque Giornate there’s always a lot of traffic and the square is a focal point for Milan’s daily life. We suggest taking an aperitif on the terrace on the top floor of Coin, which is very suggestive.