Palazzo Marino is the seat of the civic administration and it was built in 1558 by architect Galeazzo Alessi. It was named after its founder Tommaso Marino, a Genoese trader of the sixteenth century and he wanted his mansion in a key place, in the heart of the city. When he died, because of a debt with the State, the mansion was confiscated by the tax office.
Since 1577 it has been used by the Post Office, then by the Duty of salt, by the customs house and by the royal mint. Since 1861 it has been the seat of the civic administration that restored the building. Built using the stone from Brembate and restored by Luca Beltrami in 1892, Palazzo Marino towers in Piazza della Scala. Its compact facades make it quite majestic and imposing.
The Mannerism style is manifest in the Banner Hall and in the principal court, decorated with meanders and masks. Other interesting points are: the majestic Alessi Room overlooking Piazza San Fedele, the Honour Stairway and many rooms superbly decorated.