The Padiglione d’ Arte Contemporanea in via Palestro, also known as PAC, houses contemporary art collections and it was built between 1949 and 1954 according to the project of Ignazio Gardella near the stables of Villa Reale, demolished by the bombings during World War II. The Padiglione d’ Arte Contemporanea is considered one of the most important buildings of the 20th century and it’s a masterpiece for its simplicity and functionality. The metal structure lends the three-story building more lightness.
The building is well-lighted thanks to the large glass walls facing Villa Reale’s garden and skylights. In 1993 the PAC was partially destroyed by a bomb during a mafia attack and was totally restored in 1996, holding by the original project. Nowadays the PAC hosts high-level international temporary contemporary art exhibits. Depending on the kind of exhibit hosted, this non-obtrusive place well adapts to the will of the artist.