The society for fine arts and permanent exhibition, also known as Museo della Permanente is housed inside the palace of the same name in via Turati. It was established in 1883 after the union of two cultural institutions, the permanent exhibit of fine arts, founded in 1870, and the society for fine arts, founded in 1984, with the aim to spread art through sculpture and painting non-profit exhibits.
The Renaissance-style building housing the museum was designed in 1885 by architect Luca Beltrami (who also designed Palazzo Beltrami in Piazza della Scala in 1886) with a neoclassical structure and a façade made of red stone of Verona. The building was partly destroyed during World War II, but was restored by Achille Castiglione in 1950 and in 1992 there was the first exhibit of the artists that were associates, such as Tranquillo Cremona, Giuseppe Pellizza da Volpedo, Francesco Hayez, Mosé Bianchi, Umberto Boccioni, Mario Sironi, Carlo Carrà and many others.
The aim of the Museo della Permanente is the spread of artistic knowledge through thematic exhibits, but the museum also has a permanent collection, made of purchases and donation of the artists that were associates. Within the Palazzo della Permanente there’s an archive full of important documents, with over three hundred artworks, and a hundred drawings and engravings. After visiting the Museo della Permanente we recommend stopping by Bianco Latte in Via Turati 30. Its ice-cream is delicious, healthy and very tasty.