The Museo Archeologico is located in the ex-convent of the Monastero Maggiore di San Maurizio (founded during the 8th century AD) in Corso Magenta; the Greek section, the Etruscan section, the Roman section, the barbarian section and the Gandhara section, whereas the prehistoric and Egyptian section are kept in the Sale Viscontee inside Castello Sforzesco.
The museum was established in 1900 after the union of the municipal artistic museum (1862) and the archaeological museum, which was part of the Brera collection; in 1965 the museum was rearranged, and it was decided to move it to its current seat because Roman remains were found in the courtyard of the convent, as well as part of the Maximinian walls, the Torre di Anasperto and the ruins of a house. The tour of the museum starts in the porticoed courtyard, which was the cloister of the ancient convent: in the courtyard there’s a large rock found in Val Camonica engraved with a sacred prosody (dated between 2800 and 2400 BC) and an interesting collection of Roman funerary steles.
The first part of the collection is about the Etruscan period with relics such as the sarcophagus with the statue depicting the dead inside of it and grave goods from the Monte Abetone necropolis. After the Gandhara section, the reign that included northern Pakistan and north-western Afghanistan, there’s the Greek section exhibiting the great vase of Euphronios depicting Hercules’ head. The Roman section is the biggest one, starting with a plastic model recreating Milan during the Roman Age and exhibiting one of the most important artefacts of the museum: the wonderful coppa Trivulzio. The tour finishes with the barbarian section exhibiting Ostrogothic, Alemannic and Lombard relics.