The first project of an underground transport system dates back to 1857 and it considered putting rails on the dry bed of the Navigli. However the works for the Milan Metro only began during the Fifties. The works for Line 1 (red) began in 1957 and the first section, from Piazzale Lotto to Sesto San Giovanni, was inaugurated on 1 November 1964.
The red line was later extended, arriving to Bisceglie and Rho Pero Fiera. The first section of Line 2 (green) was completed between 1969 and 1971 that connected the main stations of Milan, Lambrate, Garibaldi, Centrale e Porta Genova. Nowadays the green line’s terminuses are Abbiategrasso on one side and Cologno Monzese and Gessate on the other side. The Line 3 (yellow), completed in 1982 and inaugurated in 1990, connects San Donato with Comasina. Line M5 is still under construction and its terminuses will be Bignami and San Siro Stadio. It’s the only subway line that doesn’t pass through Cerchia dei Bastioni or the city centre.
The Line 1 Duomo stop’s floor is made of synthetic stone and it has decorative elements designed by Franco Albini, Franca Helge, Antonio Piva and graphic designer Bob Noorda (1963). The headways vary from 2 minutes (Line 1) to 3 minutes (Lines 3 and 5).