Casa Manzoni is sited in via Morone 1 and was the home of Alessandro Manzoni from 1813 to 1873, when he died. The palace hosted the gatherings of the club Il Conciliatore but even famous men such as Giuseppe Verdi, Cavour and Garibaldi visited it. The façade of the building was designed in 1864 at the instance of Manzoni by architect Andrea Boni, it’s coated with red terracotta and it’s inspired by Lombard Renaissance architecture, noticeable especially in the structure of the portal and in the balcony.
On the ground floor there’s the seat of the Historical Lombard Society, specialised library that collects over 40.000 volumes, and the National Center for Manzonian Studies. The Manzoni Museum is located in two rooms overlooking the garden on the ground floor and in six rooms on the first floor: the original furnishing and ornaments have all been entirely preserved.