The Galleria Civica d’Arte Moderna was inaugurated in 1921 inside Palazzo Reale and Musei del Castello and it had a large collection of 19th century artworks. After World War II, thanks to many purchases and donations, the collection owned by the municipality increased so much that it was required more room.
The Galleria Civica d’Arte Moderna is nowadays housed in Villa Reale, with neoclassical furniture and traces of the 19th century romantic style. The museum displays masterpieces dating back to 19th-20th century such as paintings of Giovanni Segantini, Mosé Bianchi, Tranquillo Cremona and Daniele Ranzoni. The Vismara collection, donated to the museum in 1975 by Giuseppe Vismara, is also very important; the collection contains 37 artworks such as La Mediterranèe by Picasso, Vases Boules by Renoir, Paesaggio a Cherbourg by Matisse. The Grassi collection, donated in 1956 by Carlo and Netta Grassi, is also very abundant and it includes painting dating from the 14th to the 18th century.
Masterpieces dating back to the 18th century which are worth seeing are Paysage de Bretagne by Paul Gauguin, Il signor Armand a Cavallo by Edouard Manet, Anna in bianco by Armando Spadini and Donne Bretoni by Vincent Van Gogh. The GAM also houses the Marino Marini museum, established in 1973, which contains artworks chosen by Marini himself such as paintings, sculptures, drawings and engravings that show his artistic path; one of his most famous sculptures is the bronze statue named Cavallo e Cavaliere, representing the cohesion between man and nature.