The neoclassical Palazzo Reale is located on the left of the Duomo, facing Galleri Vittorio Emanuele. It was first named Palazzo del Broletto Vecchio and for centuries it has been the seat of the city’s administration during the period of medieval communes in the Middle Ages. Nowadays it’s an important cultural centre especially for arts; three other exhibitions spaces are part of this cultural pole: Rotonda della Besana, Palazzo della Ragione and Palazzo dell’Arengario, seat of the Museo del Novecento.
Since November 2013, a wing of the building is totally dedicated to the collections of the museum of the Duomo. The Hall of Caryatids on the first floor is very important; it occupies the site of the old theatre burnt in 1776 and it’s the only room that survived the Anglo-American bombs in 1943. Only at the beginning of 21st century, more than fifty years after the war, is the Palazzo Reale finding a central role in the social and cultural life of Milan thanks to restorations that you can see in the Museum of the Palace, with an itinerary through the four seasons of the historic Palazzo: the era Teresiana and Neoclassical, the Napoleonic era, the Restoration and the Unification of Italy. This itinerary is a reconstruction of the original furniture in order to allow a wider and more articulate historical and stylistic reading of court life.