The Pirelli skyscraper, nicknamed Pirellone, towers in Piazza Duca d’Aosta in front of Central Station. The construction started on 12 July 1956 and was completed on 4 April 1960, when the building was inaugurated. The building, which shows the influence of the Italian rationalist trend of the Twenties, is 127 metres (416 ft) high and was designed by Gio Ponti who, for the first time ever, dared to surpass the Duomo’s Madonnina’s height.
As a symbol of respect she was dedicated a miniature statue on the last floor of the building. The whole supporting structure is made of reinforced concrete: 31 floors are accessible by elevator while the 32nd panoramic floor is only accessible using a staircase and is opened to the public in special occasions such as temporary exhibitions.
It was originally built to host the offices of the Italian producer of tires named Pirelli, on June 1978 the skyscraper was bought by Regione Lombardia. Nowadays the Pirelli skyscraper with its 710 steps, hosts “run up” races, the famous stair climbing races that take place in skyscrapers.